Sunday 17 November 2013

What I've learnt about our oral presentations

During this last week my classmates and I have been presenting our oral presentations about traditions around the world. It was a project about one interesting tradition that it's done in some place of the world, and we had the chance to make it alone or in pairs.

I did mine with Angelina and we talked about the Sweet Sixteen party that it's done mostly in North America. First of all we explained what we were going to talk about and after this we started talking about some common traditions (Candle Lighting, Father-daughter, Shoe Changing). Then we explained some themes (Dance Party, Spa Party, Hollywood Party, Luau, Princess Ball) and then we showed some dresses. We also explained how to plan one of these big parties and what has to include an invitation. Angelina explained that MTV did a TV reality show about it and at the end, we showed one comic video of the problems that can appear and a video of approximately four minutes that shows all the party. 



My classmate's presentations were very good. Most of them talked about weddings and funerals around the world from different cultures and it was really interesting. I learnt that in some places, when someone dies, they cut the body in different parts and spread it in the mountain. I got shocked with this because I can't find any sense with it. If in almost every culture they do specific things in the funerals so the soul can go to a better place and can be in peace for ever, how is supposed the body rest in peace forever if the body is cut and spreaded? I also learnt that in one european country to say yes with the had they shake the head horizontaly and to say no they shake it vertically, so they do it otherwise from the rest of the world. I don't understand why neither because it's like, every single person in the world shakes the head horizontaly to say no and vertically to say yes and just one country does it otherwise? And did you know when a viking died they used to put the body on one of those huge boats they had and they burnt it together? I knew something about it but I didn't know they did it with every single person that died. They probably used to burn many boats!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment